More Phones Than People: 50th Anniversary of the First Cell Phone Call

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

More Phones Than People: 50th Anniversary of the First Cell Phone Call

Post by mediatechnology »

More Phones Than People

This week marked the 50th anniversary of a momentous phone call.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/more-phones-people
As Statista's Felix Richter reports, on April 3, 1973, Motorola engineer Martin Cooper was standing in a street of New York when he made the first ever call on a true mobile phone, calling his chief rival at Bell Labs, Joel Engel, presumably to gloat.

The call, made on a prototype of what later became the Motorola DynaTAC, was brief, as Cooper later recalled.

"I said 'Joel, this is Marty. I'm calling you from a cellphone, a real, handheld, portable cellphone.' There was a silence at the other end. I suspect he was grinding his teeth."

Cooper's call was a pivotal moment in the history of mobile communication, as it marked the beginning of a new era.

Today, mobile phones are ubiquitous, with over 5.4 billion people worldwide having at least one mobile subscription, according to GSMA.

In fact, there are now more mobile subscriptions than people on the planet, as the former overtook the latter in 2016.
A big call on a big phone - Martin Cooper in 1973